Anyone who considers being a Health Professional as their chosen profession, needs to think if they indeed possess the special quality needed along with the desire to make a difference in the lives of others.
Here are some facts about 3 Healthcare Professions:
1. Registered Nurses
- Work as patient advocates during the care and the recovery of their patients which includes health maintenance.
- Evaluate the nursing care of their patients who are sick or injured. RNs have a great more deal of education and clinical training than licensed practical nurses.
- Focus on the overall care of patients. They give medications under the complete supervision of doctors as well as keep records of symptoms along with any progress.
- Supervise LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses) as well as Nursing Aides, and Orderlies.
- Work to promote good health and prevent illness. They educate patients and the public about various medical conditions; treat patients and help in their rehabilitation; and provide advice and emotional support to patients’ families. RNs use a great amount of their judgment in providing a wide variety of services.
2. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) Licensed practical nurses is considered one of the fastest growing careers within 2010.
- Provide nursing care within simple situations as well as within complex ones.
- Assess vital signs, observe and monitor their patient’s reactions to treatment.
- Administer specific medication as well as vaccines and other types of injections.
- Document information for their patient’s record.
3. Certified Nursing Assistants –
- Assist individuals with activities of everyday life providing bedside care which includes basic nursing procedures. Everything is done; however, under the complete supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Take vital signs
- Answer call lights
- Make beds
- Deliver messages
- Monitor patients reporting changes
- Collect samples for testing
- Monitor food and liquid input/output
As you see by reading the above, it does take a special person to be responsible for all these duties. Once you realize this particular career suits you, it is important to choose a place to work who is dedicated to the well-being of others. Besides working in a hospital setting, Health Care Professionals are also involved in Home Health Care. Home care can be very satisfying since it can help a person stay in their own house and away from a nursing home.